Thursday, November 10, 2011

Thirsty Thursday: Cranberry Daiquiri

My sister Nancy graciously offered to be a beauty for a day (aka guest blogger) once again! She is the author of Nancitinis.  This blog has not seen a lot of action lately, but my sister is the cocktail queen so we hope the frequency of her personal posts will change based on her awesome guest posts for us. And if not, we're perfectly happy to let her keep posting here!  Her summer cocktail: the Adult Grapefruit Slushy  was incredible and this time around she was nice enough to provide us with a drink perfect for the holidays.  She can't help it if she has such a good looking dog that ends up in so many posts.  Curly & Murray may be tied for a slot as the seventh beauty.....

Nancy writes:

I hope all of you are enjoying the Beauties' Thanksgiving blog entries as much as I am. I was very happy when my sister (aka Sparkly Megan) asked if I would be willing to write an entry for a fabulous Thanksgiving cocktail. Apparently my sister saves everything, because she sent me an email from 2004 where I recommended this drink to her (nice filing Meg). It is a great recipe, and I am not sure how it was removed from my cocktail repertoire - I am glad to add it back into rotation. The name is a bit misleading, as it is more like a rum based martini. Either way, it will definitely put you in the holiday spirit.




Cocktail Ingredients


Cranberry Daiquiri


For the simple syrup
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. water
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 c. whole cranberries
1/2 tsp. orange zest
1/2 c of light rum

Add sugar, water, one cinnamon stick and grated orange peel to a small pan. Stir, and bring to a boil. Once the liquid is boiling, add the whole cranberries. Let simmer until the cranberries 'pop' [just a few minutes]. Remove from heat, and place the liquid in a jar to cool. Add rum, and place in refrigerator until ready to use. If you would like, put the remaining cranberries in the freezer (for use as garnish).

Simple Syrup - Smells Amazing!
For the drink
6 tbsp each: dark rum, light rum, cranberry juice, and lemon juice

Add simple syrup/rum mixture to a pitcher. Add additional ingredients, and stir.

Serve in martini glasses with a bit of crushed ice. Garnish with frozen cranberries.

Beautiful Cocktail

I have to admit, I was a little concerned about the amount of rum (I am more of a vodka girl myself). But if you are dealing with in-laws, turkeys, or crowds, make this drink. Happy (early) Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving Turkey!   

5 comments:

  1. Hey if the email warrants being saved, I save it too. That must be how good this drink is if Megan pulled it out from '04! This looks like a must-make this holiday season. Thanks Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Murray Murray Murray! Just kidding, Curly and Murray really are tied for best dogs ever. Wish I could have them both (and Nancy) here with me every day! Nancy, thank you for contributing another awesome cocktail. I love anything cranberry and can’t wait to try this! Plus, like you said, any cocktail with that much rum is sure to be a success and a recipe for a good time! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Curly doesn't want to be a turkey! Or a pumpkin, or a squirrel, or wear riduculous hats but he does because him mom makes him. I am grateful this holiday season for his cuteness. I would like to try this - maybe I will contribute for my christmas at KT's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so good. I'm going to have to try it.

    Love the dog in the pumpkin costume. :)

    Years ago my good friend had a dog named turkey. When her son was two he asked about the big thing cooking in the oven. When his grandma told him it was a turkey he lost it. He thought they had cooked his dog. :) Luckily the real Turkey came around the corner right after that. Poor little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is hilarious and horrible all at the same time :)

    ReplyDelete