Thursday, March 31, 2011

Healthy Option vs. Living Life to the Fullest



This recipe looked so easy at first glance even for this non cook that I did it the night it was posted. I had enough things in my cupboard to put together a lower fat version. I used low fat milk instead of half and half and I used vegetarian sausages (Morning Star is the best). I also cooked up some zucchini with the potatoes to add some veggies to the meal and left the skins on the shredded potatoes. I thought it was a decent casserole dish even for dinner.

Later in the month this part-time vegetarian bought the real sausage and half and half. I took the time to peel off the potatoes and cut the crust off of the bread. I even added some seasoned salt (thanks to Red Robin). Well it's probably no surprise but it was tasty, fluffy, and slightly greasy in a good way! Don't let me forget to mention that I also used a little, okay a lot of cheese (Flagship this is your shout out)! This version had such great taste, I could see it being a great remedy for a rough night.

I only wonder how you could prep this the night before so all you have to do is stick it in the oven in the morning. I have a tough time waiting the 40 minutes after I put it in the oven, after spending so much time prepping. Oh well I guess that is the joy of cooking I am trying to embrace!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed you made it twice! Yes, Beecher's flagship really does make everything better. And I think this would work just fine to mix up the night before and then pop in the oven in the morning. I'm trying it that way next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh nice call with the Flagship! And the veggie crumbles; they're not bad. This recipe could become a breakfast staple that never turns out the same. Love it.

    ReplyDelete