Friday, October 21, 2011

Weekend Warmer - Mulled Cider

'Tis the season for warm drinks that warm your hands, your body and your entire house! As soon as I see that first leaf changing to a beautiful golden yellow I know it's time for my #1 favorite cocktail - Mulled Cider. Not only is this a wonderful drink to enjoy on a cold, blustery evening at home but it's a huge party pleaser and excellent to serve at a holiday get-together. (tip: serve one of these to each family member right as they walk in the door and I guarantee a relaxed and happy time.)

Mulled Cider
1 jug Apple Cider (get the good, locally made, expensive stuff. We get Stoney Ridge Farm Apple Cider from Haggen in Bellingham)
4-5 cinnamon sticks
1 tsp whole cloves
Generous drizzle of honey
Gold Rum

Combine all ingredients BUT the rum in a large pot and bring to a simmer. Simmer for at least 2 hours. Your house will smell divine! Pour cider into one of your best mugs and top off with a shot of rum. I don't like to add my rum until the end. One time the alcohol burned off and I was so bummed I vowed never to make the same mistake. Also, It's totally OK if some of the cloves or cinnamon sticks get into the drink - makes it that much more festive.

4 comments:

  1. I love your tip! And very good point to pour the rum directly into the mug... I wouldn't want to risk even a drop of it burning off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! This sounds so delicious! Wish all you beauties could come visit me in Upstate NY so we could enjoy one of these after a snowball fight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. crap, i thought we used whiskey! we're trying that instead tonight and i will report tomorrow. it will be good, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. whiskey for the win! thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete