Thursday, October 31, 2013

Simple and Delicious Beef Stew in a Crock Pot / Slow Cooker



I just found the easiest, most delicious beef stew recipe for the slow cooker/crock pot. Best part is it made two different meals! I’m not much of a meat eater, actually, but there’s something about slow-cooked beef and pork that makes me absolutely LOVE it. This recipe was so good, so easy, and low cost that it’s going to become an official recipe in the rotation. Which, is like, the highest form of flattery for a recipe.

Ingredients

1 package Stew Meat
2-3 potatoes, chopped
1-2 cups chopped carrots
2 packages French onion soup mix
1 tablespoon beef bouillon
2 tablespoons oil

Directions
Heat oil in a skillet and brown stew meat. Add chopped potatoes and carrots to the crock pot. Top with browned meat. Add soup mix and beef bouillon and as much water as you want. I made mine really brothy because I wasn’t sure how much water I’d need. I added about 6 cups of water. Which paid off for the second recipe (see below). Cook for 8 hours. Serve with crusty bread, or cheesy bread.

 

Night Two Ingredients

Leftover Stew
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup rice

Night Two Directions
Heat leftover stew and cook up some white or brown rice. When rice is done and stew is hot, melt the butter in a saucepan on medium heat and add flour. Stir together and heat up to make a roux. Slowly add about a cup at a time of stew broth until sauce is thick and creamy. Serve rice on bottom and use a slotted spoon to gather stew pieces and put on top of rice. Generously smother with your homemade gravy.

Making the roux
 
 
Ladel-ing some broth to add to the roux. Yes, I totally made up that word.
 
 
Home made gravy!
 
 



I thought the first night was good. This was even better. YUM!

And, since it’s Halloween, one of my favorite times of the year, here’s a picture of my fun crazy boys:
 

2 comments:

  1. Love your turtles! And 2-in-1 meals are the best, this looks like perfect fall comfort food! I'm with you, meat doesn't get me super excited, but there's nothing like slow cooked fall apart, melt in your mouth, meat and with gravy? Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I really want night 2 really bad. Yum! Your Ninja Turtles rock!

    ReplyDelete