Wednesday, June 19, 2013

BBQ Greek Turkey Burgers with Greek Yogurt Sauce and Pickled Onions


I killed two birds with one stone with this meal.
1.) I made an awesome dinner  and was able to get everything ready while Graham was napping. This was a treat because I've been trying to clean out our freezer so I hadn't cooked in awhile.
2.) I tripled the recipe so I'd have enough burgers to share with my frozen dinner club girls. This was a risk since I've never tried this before and I started second guessing myself as I was dumping 3 pounds of ground turkey in the bowl. Lucky for me the burgers we were really good and not one ingredient went to waste.

This recipe is from Nutmeg Nanny a great food blog Megan introduced me to. I followed her recipe but used ground turkey instead of chicken ('cause that's what Costco has). It was super easy and REALLY yummy spin on traditional burgers. I'm glad I made extra and now have a stash in our freezer. And I think the pickled onions will be good for awhile.

Greek Turkey Burgers {with pickled red onion and Greek yogurt sauce}


Recipe and photo from Nutmeg Nanny

Ingredients:

For pickled red onion:
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup water
1/2 thinly sliced large red onion
For Greek yogurt sauce:
1 (6 ounce) plain Greek yogurt
1 tablespoons lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon finely minced parsley
1 tablespoon finely minced mint
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For turkey burgers:
1 pound ground turkey
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 tablespoon finely minced mint
1 tablespoon finely minced parsley
1/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Baby spinach
6-8 slider buns (I used torta rolls and made regular size burgers)
Cheese (even tho the burgers have feta, we melted extra cheese on top)

Directions:

For pickled red onion:
In a small bowl whisk together vinegar, brown sugar, salt and water. When you no longer see any sugar or salt in the mixture add your onion and let sit on the counter for at least an hour.
Store leftovers in the fridge with a little bit of the pickling juice.
I like to do this first so it can pickle while I put together and cook the burgers.
For Greek yogurt sauce:
In a small bowl add everything and mix together. Keep in the fridge until ready to use. When you are ready to serve give a taste and add more salt if needed.
(Keep in mind the burgers contain feta cheese which will add a bit of salt to the finished sandwich)
For turkey burgers:
In a large bowl add ground turkey, feta cheese, mint, parsley, red bell pepper, salt and black pepper.
Using your hands mix together until thoroughly combined. Divide meat mixture into 6 - 8 slider sized burgers (I made regular sized burgers).

Over medium heat, cook on the grill until the inside of the burger is no longer pink. {If you do not have a grill you can pan fry the burgers in one tablespoon of olive oil.} Melt cheese on top while they're cooking if you so desire.

To assemble the burgers add Greek yogurt sauce to the top and bottom of the bun, add burger, baby spinach and a few pickled red onions.

 

3 comments:

  1. I need to get on board with this nutmeg nanny because these look delicious and so did those corned beef topped hot dogs you sent me! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I've already told you, these were my favorite freezer meal so far! Seriously, so delicious. I'm definitely on board with Nutmeg Nanny!!

    ReplyDelete