Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Turketti Casserole

Remember this recipe come Thanksgiving: Turkey + Spaghetti = Turketti

This is the recipe you want to find when you're wondering what to do with the turkey leftovers (if there's any left after turkey sandwiches). Turketti is another classic recipe from my childhood. It's basically a cheesy spaghetti bake with a bunch of good stuff in it. It's another fool-proof, easy-to-make casserole that will probably be a hit with the kiddos.

Whenever my mom asked my brothers and I what we wanted for our birthday dinner, we chose either Turketti, the previously posted Tagliarini or Red Pork Chops. My poor mom. Pretty sure her entire pantry was filled with tomato sauce, tomato soup and cream of something soup. Oh no wait...that's my pantry.


Turketti

1 1/4 c of 2" spaghetti pieces
1 1/2 to 2 c cooked and cubed turkey or chicken
1/2 c diced cooked ham (optional)
1/4 c pimento (optional)
1/4 c green pepper - chopped or minced
1 can undiluted cream of mushroom soup
1/2 c turkey or chicken broth
1/4 tsp celery salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 chopped onion
1 1/2 c grated cheddar cheese

Cook spaghetti until barely tender. Drain and rinse with hot water. Drain well. Add remaining ingredients except for 1/2 c cheese. Stir well. Pour into casserole dish. Sprinkle with reserved cheese. Bake covered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until bubbly.

Cook's Note: You can play with this one a bit, although I highly suggest adding the pimentos for a really unique flavor. I didn't add ham this time but I did add chopped carrot and a little chopped kale. If you top it with French fried onions (from that green bean casserole) you will not be sorry.


If you saw my last casserole post for Tagliarini I promised you some follow-up pages from the cookbook my family made for me when I moved away after college. Just take a look; I don't think an explanation is needed...





At least they gave me a little credit...
One example of the love and recipes that went into this book.


3 comments:

  1. I actually have everything on hand to make this! Maybe it's time I get in the kitchen and teach Graham a thing or two about cooking. I love the notes in your cookbook - so funny - especially the one about dessert!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! Your family is awesome for making you a cookbook like that. :) I especially like the Setting the Table page, I can never remember which side the fork knife and spoon are supposed to go on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are killing it with the blog posts this month! You are the casserole queen!

    ReplyDelete