Thursday, October 27, 2011

Roasting a Chicken 101: Jolie's Review




One of the many reasons I love this blog is it takes me out of my comfort zone and makes me try something I would never have done on my own. Plus it helps me along the way with tips I desperately need to become an official “cook”. For instance when Missy wrote, “I washed the Turkey inside and out before starting”, I thought to myself, now did I do that when I made my chicken?!

I am not much of a meat cooker, let alone eater, but I am starting to be swayed after this recipe! I did the Emily Costco thing of two chickens of just under 5 lbs each. For this evening I used only one of the chickens and served it with mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli. I fed my family and our two neighbor adults for just under $10!

I managed to find some fresh sage from the garden and followed everything else as close to the recipe as I could. Well minus the wire rack and baster thingies (who needs that fancy stuff?). I substituted the Oktoberfest beer with “Dumb Luck” beer, thinking it fit me better.

My fans raved about how moist it was! Not sure if I can contribute that to the fact that I didn’t use a rack or that I didn’t baste every 5 minutes either. (I managed to throw that bird in, work for two hours, and leave it on low after the timer went off.) So this is really a fool proof recipe if you ask me.

When I make chicken number two, I will try out propping the bird onto a beer can and comparing the taste with this first one. I will post in the comments below how it goes. I will be contributing to my first work potluck on Halloween. I'll let you know how that goes too!

3 comments:

  1. Jolie you crack me up with that Dumb Luck. I'm with you -- forget the fancy stuff and wing it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am cracking up over your Dumb Luck beer … so funny and such a great name! Love that this is foul proof recipe. Great post, as always, Jols! And beautiful picture. How can your mouth not water when seeing a chicken like that??? Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, Jolie! The beauty of the roast chicken is being able to let it do its thang! I am very intrigued with the beer; haven't tried that technique before.

    ReplyDelete