Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Sausage Balls & Mascarpone Chive Dip

I love appetizers.  If you ever come to our house on the holidays, be prepared to snack all day on bite size items we can easily make in the oven.  This year was no different.   In honor of the fact I am spending lots of time at home, I decided to try a couple of new recipes out.   The funny part was one of my "new" recipes my mom used to make when we were kids and I had forgotten.  Oh well, time to make old new again!!!

I love sauce and dip.  I am a self proclaimed "sauce whore".  I think just about every food is better with a sauce, condiment, or dip to accompany it.  The Sausage Balls didn't have a dip so I decided to add one.  The dip turned out so awesome.  We ate it by itself with chips and bread until every last bite was gone.  If you are in the mood to try something different, this was a great option.  The recipe also made a lot so we were able to freeze some for the next get together.






Sausage Balls


1 1 lb Package of Ground Sausage (I used Jimmy Dean Spicy Sausage)
2 Cups of Bisquick
3 Cups of Sharp Cheddar Cheese


Mix everything together with your hands and roll it into small balls (it will be crumbly).  Our advice is to make them small, the Bisquick makes them expand and they would have been better as just bite size.  Mine turned out to be 2 + bites.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes and enjoy!

Mascarpone Chive Dip


8 oz  of Mascarpone Cheese
8 oz of Sour Cream
Chopped Fresh Chives to your taste (we like lots of them- half a small package)
1 clove of garlic (if you use the frozen cubes that I love so much: Dorot Garlic & Herbs, use one)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients and enjoy.  The best thing about both of these recipes is I made them well ahead of time since they keep great.  The dip is definitely better after sitting for a bit.

The Appetizer & Dip prepared the day before


I decided to make up a new cocktail too.  I love Cinnamon so we experimented.  I have fallen in love with using candy in drinks.  I think it makes it so festive, flavors the drink slowly, and makes it a fun experience. I used Cinnamon Lollipops from See's Candy.


Cinnamon Sipper Martinis


1 Shot Vodka
1/2 Shot Soda Water
1/4 Shot Simple Syrup

Combine the above ingredients with ice in a martini shaker.  Put in a martini glass and add a splash of Hot Damn or similar Cinnamon schnapps.  Add a Cinnamon Lollipop, Hot Tamales, or Cinnamon Bears to garnish and enjoy!!






2 comments:

  1. This sounds so delicious - I can't wait to try it (you had me at mascarpone!) and your cocktails are so festive! Do you cook your sausage before you make the meatballs or cook them after they are made? And if so - How... Oven? Pan Fried?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes this is an oldie and goodie! I've had the sausage Bisquick balls before and they're sooo good. I love your post because I'm a total sauce whore as well. I believe most foods are just a vehicle to get the sauce/condiment in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete