Friday, January 4, 2013

Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

Yay for Stew and Soup month! Also known as "Stewp Month" (probably to no one but me).

Of course I loved this assignment because it meant I didn't have to do much: 1) Find recipe on Pinterest where I already have/can substitute/or cheat most of the ingredients, 2) Raid pantry and refrigerator for those ingredients, and 3) Dump it in a slow cooker.

That's exactly what happened. So this recipe is adapted from another one I found and changed quite a bit to meet my desire not to go to the grocery store...

Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

Ingredients:

2 cups water
1 14-ounce can chicken broth
1 10.75-ounce can of Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
3/4 cup wild rice, rinsed and drained
1/2 teaspoon herbs de provence
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons minced garlic
Chopped onion as desired
3 cups shredded chicken (from a Rotisserie chicken)

Directions:

Combine chicken, water, broth, condensed soup, rice, herbs, and pepper in a slow cooker.
Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 7 hours or on high for 4 hours.

Cook's Notes: Since I don't miss an opportunity to cut corners, I bought the pre-sliced fresh rotisserie chicken from Trader Joe's. I also dumped in the frozen rice medley packet from TJ's instead of using wild rice.

The downside: Kelly says it looks a little too close to our cat's wet food...and he's right.

This was easy and delicious (despite what the photo above looks like)! I loved the consistency and chunkiness of the chicken and rice together. I gotta have a little chunk in my soup. It actually exceeded my taste expectations and I'm sure I'll make it again.

To go right along with Stewp Month, check out No-Stress Beef Stew, also ridiculously easy, and Split-Pea Soup, also made chunky for a little sum'in to bite on.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you are on top of it! This looks so good. And healthy. Double points for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chicken and wild rice soup. Pasta & Co used to make one, and they probably still do. I used to get it all the time when I worked at WaMu on Queen Anne. Soups like these are just really satisfying. I don't use my crock pot enough.

    ReplyDelete