Thursday, March 21, 2013

Build a Better Egg McMuffin

The problem with making homemade Egg McMuffins is getting the egg to fit the English muffin just right. If you fry the egg, who knows what shape it will become, and if you bake the egg in a muffin tin, it ends up too fat and not wide enough for the English muffin – my opinion, of course. But I made a discovery recently that kind of blew my own mind (I’m easily impressed.) So, for breakfast month, I have more of a tip, a better way to assemble the Egg McMuffin.


First things first: Go buy a whoopie pie pan. I spotted this little baby at Jo Anne’s fabrics of all places and right there had my little epiphany about the perfect egg for the Egg McMuffin. They are shallower, wider “pie holes” (hehe) that bake the perfect English muffin sized egg. You can get these pans pretty much anywhere baking goods are sold.


Second: Simply spray the pie pan, crack your eggs into the pie holes, bake at 350 for 15 minutes and you can just pop those babies right out of the pan when they’re done!

Third: While the eggs are baking, prep the muffins. Place one to two pieces of American cheese, divided, on each half of the muffin. Place the muffins on a flat baking sheet and pop in the oven for the last 5-10 minutes of baking, or until cheese is melted.

Optional: Add Canadian bacon, real bacon, or a sausage patty. I microwave or fry up the MorningStar patties and pop them on there because it’s quick and easy.

Finally: Assemble everything and enjoy!


Tip: If you use egg whites only, they come out a little thin. I happen to think it’s just fine but you could absolutely double up on the egg whites to make a more egg-y muffin. If you leave the yolk in to bake, it definitely comes out a little thicker, more like the McD's McMuffins you're (I'm) used to. Pictured above left is a doubled-up egg white and pictured right is a regular with egg yolk.

This is such a fun, easy and quick way to feed a bunch. You can even get hashbrown patties at Trader Joe’s, fry those puppies in a skillet, and serve them up with your perfect Egg McMuffins.

McDonald’s who?

6 comments:

  1. This is absolutely brilliant. I just love love love home made breakfast sandwiches and the shape of the egg always drives me crazy. I need one of these pans for sure. What's a whoopie? And you said pie hole. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A whoopie pie looks like a doughy cookie, possibly, maybe? I'm not really sure...and I'll probably never make one. Ha! In my house, this is now deemed the egg mcmuffin pan. But to buy it, look for the "whoopie pie" pan. This is so fast, you could literally make one for your whole family, and let it bake while you're all getting ready in the morning. That's what I did today.

      Delete
  2. Shut your pie hole! This is brilliant and I want one right now. Remember you can make those hash brown patties in the toaster and then they are nice and crispy and no dirty pan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! I need to try the toaster. One less dirty pan is totally worth it.

      Delete
  3. I don't have room for any more kitchen toys, but I'm putting a whoopie pie pan on my birthday wish list regardless. This is brilliant! Graham is so lucky, by the time he's eating real food I'll have perfect scrambled eggs and egg mcmuffins mastered!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that I'm dairy free I'm wondering if american cheese counts as real cheese. I hope not. Cause I just can't have an english muffin without cheese.

    ReplyDelete