Monday, May 14, 2012

Ricotta and Artichoke Stuffed Eggplant


Like Emily's panini, the artichoke in this stuffed eggplant dish did not shine, however, the overall dish was really good! I think the superstar ingredients in this one were the ricotta and honey. And it was easy to make, in fact all it took was an episode of Dora the Explorer to distract the toddler long enough to prep this one.


I adapted the recipe from a post I found while searching "eggplant artichoke recipes" because I had sweet little baby eggplants from Costco I wanted to use up. The original recipe made them into bite sized pieces and I think they would taste even better like that. Since I didn't have a crowd to feed, I made them into personal sides for me and Kelly instead. (No, the kiddo did not partake nor was he amused when I handed him a bite.)


Slice off the backside skin to stabilize it while baking.
As for the artichoke, I bought the Costco 4-pack and reserved the hearts of two for this dish (which took some willpower not to dip in mayo and annihilate). I also threw in some of the baby leaves.

Again, loved this dish! But I think I might have to try again with artichokes and see if I can give them some more credit next time. Or perhaps chokes, if not eaten alone, are meant to be the lowly sidekick, the wind beneath the wings of some other awesome ingredient. The less attractive wing man at the bar who serves a purpose but will never take the spotlight away from the hot stud he showed up with. I dunno...hoping the rest of the Beauties can help me figure this one out...

In the meantime, try this:

Ricotta and Artichoke Stuffed Eggplant

Serves 4-6:

olive oil
2 baby eggplants
1/3 cup artichoke hearts
3 T shallots/garlic/onions, diced (Trader Joe's pack)
8 oz ricotta
1 tsp honey
salt and pepper
basil, roughly chopped
balsamic dressing

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Scoop out meat from center of eggplants making a little boat and set meat aside. Salt and oil eggplant boats and place in oven for 25 minutes or until soft like "buttah".

While baking eggplants, chop up artichokes and eggplant meat, combine. Heat skillet over medium heat and add in a drizzle of oil, artichokes, eggplant and onion mix. Pinch of salt and saute until softened, about 10 minutes.

Remove from skillet and add to ricotta and honey in a bowl. Pinch of salt and pepper to taste.

Remove eggplants from oven and fill with ricotta mixture. Place back in oven just long enough for ricotta mix to start melting some. Remove from oven, add basil and balsamic dressing as desired.


The TJ's convenience pack which I stored at work, hence my initials all over.
You just never now who's gonna swipe your shallot/onion,/garlic pack.
Sauteing the artichoke, eggplant, onion mixture.
Ta-Da!

5 comments:

  1. I'm impressed you used artichokes AND ricotta in your dish! Those baby eggplant are darling and I'm with you, TJ's pre-cut veggies make life so much easier! This recipe sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks way more delicious than the meal I made last night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you substitute the cheese with gruyere or would it be too overpowered?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a different texture and you couldn't stir the honey in (would have to add it later) but it should still be delicious, more like eggplant parm or lasagna! If you try it, let us know how it turns out!

      Delete