Monday, February 20, 2012

Healthy and Quick (but Tasty) Vegan Kale Dish with Fantasy Dessert



How do you do a whole post on a basic idea I got on my original Kale post that Allison Bay (a great family friend who is awesome in the kitchen despite having 3 boys of her own) gave me? The answer lies in a review of Seattle’s Best Dessert I had the opportunity to try recently.

But first the healthy Kale recipe.



Ingredients:
Garlic
Mushrooms (or any other favorite veggie you like)
Kale
Can of Tomatoes
Salt/Pepper (Bragg’s Liquid Amino’s)
Optional Veggie Sausages or meat substitute
Cooked Brown Rice

Sauté up the garlic with the mushrooms. If you are on a diet don’t use oil, the mushrooms create enough liquid or add some water. Add the chopped up Kale and a can of tomatoes. Sauté until the Kale is tender. Throw in the cooked rice, cooked meat, and you have a healthy but quick dinner!

We have been cooking the brown rice on a Sunday and then putting in the fridge for the week. Andre and I were both shocked at how great this recipe turned out. It also had such bright colors. (Which was also consumed on Super Bowl Sunday to continue with the theme!)


Once you feel great about having a healthy dinner you can afford, in calories and money, it’s time for a special treat! Recently, my Dad retired after 29 years with the same partners from his law firm--Peizer, Richards, and Ziontz. I am proud of my dad’s work as a lawyer and being able to hear all the amazing stories his partners shared at our special dinner only made me glow more with pride.

We had a perfect private room at Tango Restaurant and Lounge in Seattle. There were many fabulous dishes but when I heard we were going to try the “Best Dessert in Seattle” I perked up. The “El Diablo” is the famous dessert, I learned, that has been featured on the Food Network and voted Best Dessert from City Search. It’s described in the menu as: Bittersweet cube of sinfully rich dark chocolate graced with cayenne, spicy almonds, cocoa nibs and burnt meringue finished with a tequila caramel sauce.



Here is a picture of my eaten El Diablo. It was so light and fluffy! The taste changes during the whole bite. I am not a huge spicy fan in my regular dishes but the spice in this dessert was perfect. I’ll give it best dessert in Seattle too, even if you aren’t a big dessert fan you would like this!

Isn’t Emily always saying how great healthy Dark Chocolate is?? If anyone can try and recreate this dish, it would be Emily. I can be your taste tester!

2 comments:

  1. When I first read the title of your post, I thought you made a dessert with kale! LOL. Your main dish sounds delicious, I love brown rice but it takes so long to cook so that's an excellent idea to just make a huge batch on the weekend to last you all week.

    Congratulations to your dad! So exciting that he has retired! And funny because just the other day we drove past Tango (I've never eaten there) with my parents in the car and my dad started talking about the famous El Diablo dessert! The photo is beautiful, we'll have to get our hands on the recipe and I'd love to try and re-create it. Or maybe the Beauties need to go on a girls date to Tango...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so impressed with your dinner creation -- it really does look and sound delicious! I'm going to try this for sure...the little one tends to eat more things in rice (don't ask why). Thanks for the good idea Jols! And don't even get me started on that dessert. Sinful.

    ReplyDelete